Anvers station was inaugurated on 7 October 1902 on metro line 2 Nord (North). The line was later renamed metro line 2 on 17 October 1907. The station was temporarily used as the terminus of line 2, up until its extension to Bagnolet station (now named Alexandre Dumas station) on 31 January 1903.
A tribute to Belgium
Metro stations are often named after the street or square where they are located. Created in 1868 and named “Place Turgot” (Turgot Square), the square was partially built on the ground of Montmartre’s former slaughterhouses and took on its current name with a decree dated 1 February 1877. Thus, Anvers station, near Anvers Square and Anvers park, was named after the city in Belgium, which is also one of Europe’s main ports. Sacré-Cœur was added to the station name due to its relative proximity to Montmartre’s Sacré-Cœur Basilica.
A Guimard entrance registered in the French Supplementary Historic Monument List.
The station’s only entrance, located on Anvers Square, is comprised of stairs decorated with a Guimard entrance. The curved fence is framed by short posts which are reminiscent of human femur bones, and the crests and cartouches on the railing were inspired by insect shells. Two “lilies of the valley” posts topped by orange-red globe light fixtures support an enamelled lava stone plaque bearing the word “Métropolitain”.
The entrances designed by leading Art Nouveau artist Hector Guimard are typical of early station entrances. These metro station entrances went on to become a symbol of the capital, with their fascinating cast-iron structure, natural curves and foliage decoration. 166 of these Guimard structures were built between 1900 and 1922, with a final one being built in 2000 on Sainte-Opportune Square in honour of the metro network’s centenary anniversary. 88 remain today, with 86 of them registered in the French Supplementary Historic Monument List since the decree dated 29 May 1978.
A formerly metallic camber-clad station
From the end of the 1960s up until the end of the 2000s, the side walls of Anvers station were clad with a metal camber characterised by horizontal studs, blue benches and illuminated golden advertisement frames. The metallic camber was finished in 2010 as part of the “Renouveau du metro” renovation campaign.
Anvers station has a standard layout, with two platforms divided by metro tracks and an elliptical archway. Since the platforms were renovated during the 2010 renovation campaign “Renouveau du metro”, the station is lit by two curved bands and the side walls, archway, spandrels and corridor openings are now ornamented with bevelled white ceramic tiles. The advertisement frames are made of white ceramic, and the station name is displayed in Parisine lettering on enamelled plaques. The green seats were designed by Atelier A KIKO and Concept Urbain in 2002.