- Societal prevention
- Prevention of delinquency
- Prevention of recidivism
- Prevention for tourists
- Living better together – School awareness campaigns
- Living better together – Citizen outreach
- Outreach mission - Recueil Social
- Outreach mission – Partner structures
- Outreach mission - ATLAS
- Informations complémentaires
01. Societal prevention
External societal risks can have an impact on the transport business, in terms of both the quality and continuity of services offered. To manage these risks, RATP has elaborated a prevention policy that is divided into actions geared towards citizens, tourists and students.
02. Prevention of delinquency
RATP is represented within the various structures for the prevention of delinquency in the Île de France region. As a result, it is a stakeholder in actions that are formulated in concert with government services. It is also involved in the local application of the national crime prevention strategy. RATP participates in government actions, for example, against violence towards women in public transport.
03. Prevention of recidivism
As a major player in civil society in the Île-de-France region, RATP participates in the city’s judicial policy by hosting persons serving non-custodial sentences (community work or repairing damage).
Within this framework, RATP works with SPIP insertion and probation penitentiary services, prosecutors, and the court’s educational services. Over the past 15 years, it has helped with the reinsertion of one thousand individuals.
04. Prevention for tourists
As part of reinforced security measures in the tourist areas of Paris that have been initiated by the Paris Police, RATP intensifies the passage and presence of security forces on its sites (metro and RER stations, bus stops) near tourist attractions during the summer holidays and school breaks. To build awareness among foreign visitors, RATP, in cooperation with the Paris Police, has compiled a brochure called “How to travel safely”, written in 7 languages: French, English, German, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Audio messages are also broadcast in several languages to warn passengers about the presence of pickpockets in our networks.
05. Living better together – School awareness campaigns
RATP carries out numerous actions in collaboration with the French Department of Education, city governments and community organisations.
Specially trained RATP ambassadors (bus and metro drivers, passenger relations personnel) visit middle and high schools to conduct awareness campaigns.
They cover themes ranging from civility to security, mobility, and career opportunities.
In addition to school visits, RATP also organises a prevention campaign: “Rugby Wednesdays”. It is based on practicing a sport that embodies the company’s values: respect, team spirit and sharing.
More than 35,000 students from communities near public transport have participated in these awareness campaigns.
06. Living better together – Citizen outreach
RATP joins forces with municipalities and community associations during citizen outreach programmes, actively participating in:
- Educational activities, by leading recreational workshops during events for kids: Educap City, Citizen Rallye…
- Activities that target specific audiences, in the wake of incidents or safety issues that involve a community or a given transport mode.
07. Outreach mission - Recueil Social
As a public service company, and as part of its corporate social responsibility, RATP must take into consideration the needs of all its different user groups, including the most vulnerable. In this spirit, starting in 1992 the company more fully embraced its policy against social exclusion, leading to the creation in 1994 of a social outreach programme, the Recueil Social.
Our social outreach agents’ main mission is to meet with the homeless people who are present throughout the RATP network, in order to create a bond with them, in a climate of trust and respect for their dignity, and guide them towards partner structures adapted to their specific situations.
With some 50 volunteer agents, the outreach programme ensures its mission 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
08. Outreach mission – Partner structures
Recueil Social works in partnership with 17 daytime outreach centres:
- 15 ESI outreach centres provide access to essential needs (shower, hairdresser, clothing, food…) and social assistance (monitoring of various administrative needs). Some centres also provide paramedical services (access to a nurse, psychologist, …)
- 1 overnight shelter and assistance centre for the homeless (CHAPSA), located in Nanterre
- 1 shelter in Charenton, created by RATP in 2015 and managed by Emmaus Solidarité. Services are organised around 4 themes: reception, hygiene & health, workshops, and diagnostics & orientation.
09. Outreach mission - ATLAS
In addition to caring for the homeless, the Recueil Social also participates in the ATLAS mission, first created in the winter of 1992/1993.
The purpose of this humanitarian operation is to transport persons in difficulty to overnight shelters that are provided by various associations. The plan includes the provision of year-round assistance to the SAMU Social, which provides aid and transport for the homeless and can be reinforced during periods of extreme cold at the request of the Paris Police. ATLAS was created in 1992 through a partnership signed between the Paris department of sanitary and social actions, the City of Paris, and RATP.
In 2015, under the aegis of the ATLAS programme, 22,000 station visits were made, nearly 30,000 persons were transported to daytime centres and overnight shelters, and 135,000 persons were provided with assistance.