M1 extension to Val de Fontenay

The M1 extension from Château de Vincennes to Val de Fontenay includes the creation of a 7 km tunnel, 2 km of which will serve as a garage for the automated shuttles behind the future terminus station.

The schematic diagram on the proposed route and the three stations – Les Rigollots, Grands Pêchers and Val de Fontenay – was submitted to Île-de-France Mobilités in July 2018. Further studies are underway.

Useful information:

  1. Départements 93 and 94

  2. Connections with the RER E and A

  3. Future connections with M15 and extended T1


  • Addresses the area’s transport needs by providing more effective, direct service between Fontenay-sous-Bois, Montreuil, Vincennes and Paris.
  • Creates connections with the existing public transport network (RER A and E) as well as with future lines: the T1 extension and the eastern M15.

Service quality

After line automation in 2012, the M1 became one of the Paris metro’s most modern lines.

  • More regular, reliable service, thanks notably to platform-edge doors.
  • Shorter intervals between trains: 1 train every 1 minute and 45 seconds, during peak hours.
  • Travel time between Château de Vincennes and Val de Fontenay: 6 to 7 minutes.

Urban integration

The M1 extension is designed in conjunction with other urban development projects in Vincennes, Montreuil and Fontenay-sous-Bois.

The proposed extension fits within the existing urban fabric while taking into account future developments, notably the eastern M15 and tramway T1 extension.

Key figures

and 3 new stations. 110,000 passengers are expected to use the M1 extension each day.


  • December 2013: approval of the Main Features and Objectives Document (DOCP) by the Île-de-France Mobilités board of directors
  • 10 November 2014 to 10 January 2015: prior consultation
  • July 2015: approval of the consultation report by the Île-de-France Mobilités board of directors
  • 2015-2016: implementation of the masterplan
  • 2017: public hearings
  • Towards 2030: Start-up of service
Prolongement de la ligne 1 à Val de Fontenay

Project players

Île-de-France Mobilités designs, organises and finances public transport for all residents in the Île-de-France region. It invests in, supervises and approves modernisation and development projects for all types of public transport. 

Project costs and financing

The M1 extension is part of the Île-de-France Regional Council’s masterplan (SDRIF). The Île-de-France Regional Council will finance 70% of the project, and the French State the remaining 30%.